top of page

Wildlife Licence Charging

When you need a licence

You need a licence from Natural England or Defra if you plan to disturb or remove wildlife, or damage habitats.

You’ll need a licence if your work is to:

  • prevent damage to agriculture, livestock, fisheries, property or archaeology

  • protect public health and safety, such as demolishing an unsafe derelict building that hosts a bat roost

  • maintain or develop land, for example converting farmland or a brownfield site to housing

  • prevent disease among species

  • keep or release species not native to England

  • sell, own, exhibit or transport protected species

  • survey for the presence of wildlife on your land for science or educational research or for conservation work

More information can be found on the government's website here.

bottom of page